OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fan Jersey "Rules"
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:03 am 
King of Men

So these guys on the Flames radio this morning make some dumb ass comment that you can't wear jersey's of dudes younger than you. I can't continuously run around rocking my Roberts and Fleury Jerseys or my Boston Neely..........I have a Johnny Hockey yeah he might be young enough to be my son! My Patrice Jersey is borderline. Makes no damn sense because only old people have enough money to buy over priced sweaters........ :doom: Who the hell is this knob in the morning making these comments? Must be Jay....an offended millennial.....probably has a Bettman jersey.

So what other weird "rules" do we all have?

If I remember correctly some folks don't like people putting their own name on the back of Jerseys.....well let me tell you what when I bought a Flames Jersey and put my name on it back in the late 90's early 2000s....there wasn't anyone worthy enough on that damn team to grace my back side! Young guns era where they were threatening to move anyway......

As you can tell I don't have any rules. You bought it so do what you want with it (that includes burning or ass wiping if you are an EDM fan).

Post subject: Re: Fan Jersey "Rules"
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh good Lord, while I do get a kick out of all the "jersey fouls" that Wysh features regularly, let people wear whatever the fuck they want. I'm not allowed to add to my current collection...? Those talking heads can fuck right off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:49 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm not a fan of people putting their own names on jerseys or silly names, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

And not wearing the name of someone younger than you? That's the exact kind of puritanical trash I'd expect in a market that hasn't won since the 80s.

My fave fan jersey juxtaposition was seeing 6 foot 5 black dudes wearing Steve Nash Suns jerseys back in the day. Always made me chuckle for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:25 pm 
OTP Historian

I wouldn't personally purchase a jersey with my own name on it(and quite frankly probably feel weird wearing it out in public), but my best man, for his own groomsmen, bought us all sweaters of our favorite teams with our name and numbers that we wore growing up. Pretty awesome gift. I don't really mind others wearing those, just feel a little weird wearing my own name and number on it.

Age thing? Who cares...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 pm 

I wouldn't necessarily buy a jersey with my own name and number on it, but honestly it's probably a better investment than buying a player's who ends up leaving the team a year later.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:59 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The age thing is beyond stupid, and basically just sounds like someone looking to keep old people out of the sport. Or at least, out of jerseys. I'd never heard that one before. Probably one of those things a radio person says on a slow news day to drum up responses.

I don't really have "rules". I mean, you could make such a huge list of things that people find odd or funny about jerseys. First of all, how many dudes wearing jerseys weigh 250+ lbs, and I don't mean 250 of muscle. When I used to go to a lot of Ranger games (they're closer to us than the Isles, and my father's company had season tickets) there was a guy who sat near us with season tickets. He had a whole collection of Ranger player jerseys. I'm sure Brian Leetch would love to see this guy pushing 350 lbs wearing his #2 jersey. The poor number looked so lonely in the middle of a 2 yards of Ranger fabric on the guy's back. So should "non-athletic" people not be allowed to wear jerseys? Because I find the irony to be amazing. But a rule? No. Just fashion sense I guess.

What about after a player leaves your team? I had gotten my kids Tavares jerseys 2 years ago because A) they were super cheap and B) I thought he'd stay with the team. Given the way he left, I just had his name taken off and the only other Islander to wear #91 put on- so my kids now have Goring jerseys. Although they're jersey fouls, because I didn't remove the C from the front. Better than having dickhead's name on them...

Should people not be allowed to wear jerseys that don't work well with their hair color?
What about matching your pants to the jersey? Shoes & socks?
How about race? Can a white dude wear a Subban jersey? Or a black dude wear almost any other hockey player?
Gender? Can I wear an Amanda Kessel jersey? (that loops back around to the fat dudes in athletic player's jerseys point above)
If you're a Canucks fan but your favorite player is Crosby, can you wear a Penguins-Crosby jersey? I've known people who say no.
If you like the way Sweden plays in the Olympics, can you wear a Sweden jersey if you're not Swedish? Or are you a wannabe if you're of Swedish-American or Swedish-Canadian descent?
I once saw a guy get heckled by a whole section of Yankee fans because he wore a red shirt to a Yankees/Red Sox game. He was a Yankee fan, and it was just a plain red shirt. But he stuck out, so people gave him shit. Most were joking because they realized he was a Yankee fan, but can you wear the "wrong color" to a game?
The list could be insanely long.
What about people wearing the name/number of a 4th liner?

It's clothing. Nobody gives a thought to what you wear until sports are involved. Rules are dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 am 
King of Men

I have a Team Canada jersey!

So Can I buy a Habs jersey and put Lucic or Chara on it!? Yeah you probably can....but may not be a good idea if you plan on attending games in either Montreal or Boston. Just because you can doesn't mean there aren't repercussions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 am 
OTP Historian

Yeah the sweater of a guy who never actually played for the team is kind of dumb to me. Just why?

Chris18 wrote:
Although they're jersey fouls, because I didn't remove the C from the front.

Well, also because the jersey is a different era completely :P That's another foul, but honestly who cares.

Chris18 wrote:
It's clothing. Nobody gives a thought to what you wear until sports are involved. Rules are dumb.

Heh...that's a gender thing for sure. Be thankful you aren't a woman and aren't judged nearly as much on what you wear as a dude.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:52 am 
King of Men

:? .......Jersey's aren't typically designed to accentuate the human form . Gender neutral before that was even hip! Are there even Ice Girls anymore or has that quietly and quickly been shelved?

I had an extremely hard time placing my Neely jersey with an accurate time frame Boston jersey. I came close but it just wasn't available at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:40 am 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
I had an extremely hard time placing my Neely jersey with an accurate time frame Boston jersey. I came close but it just wasn't available at the time.

Yup, both jersey availability and potential cost are a big factor so I don't care about it. Unless it's something really egregious. Like Mike Bossy on a fisherman jersey or something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:42 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
:? .......Jersey's aren't typically designed to accentuate the human form . Gender neutral before that was even hip! Are there even Ice Girls anymore or has that quietly and quickly been shelved?

Nope, Avs still got Ice Girls, as do a number of other teams.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Kings and Canucks have ice people.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:22 pm 

I have a Ray Bourque Team Canada jersey but it was the wrong design, didn't realize it until after I got it. But I tested it in Canada and no one seemed to notice so... :clint:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Heh...that's a gender thing for sure. Be thankful you aren't a woman and aren't judged nearly as much on what you wear as a dude.

Well when I wear a mini-skirt and stilettos... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:53 pm 

Bosc wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Yup, both jersey availability and potential cost are a big factor so I don't care about it. Unless it's something really egregious. Like Mike Bossy on a fisherman jersey or something.

Any/all fisherman jerseys are foul if you ask me. Fucking awful period in history.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:18 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The only named sweater I ever wore was a Konstantinov #16 with a 1997 Stanley Cup Finals patch. I retired it after 2009. I had only been wearing it to Stanley Cup Finals games for a while. I figured it was time. I wear regular street clothes to most of the games. I figure that once you hit a certain age you start to look silly wearing a sweater, named or not. I don't care if others want to wear their named sweaters at any age. Dwight still wears his occasionally. His are a signed Yzerman white and a signed Lidstrom red sweater. Now, I sometimes wear an Original 6 or a Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds hoody. Everybody seems to love those especially the Soo Greyhounds hoodies. I have even had former Greyhounds players wink or tap the glass to acknowledge the Hounds hoody. I wore the Greyhounds hoody last years pre-Thanksgiving (US) game against Edmonton and ended up talking with a bunch of Canadians and even found one guy from the St. Joseph Island area because of that hoody. Small world, eh.