OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 am 
King of Men

This keeps getting talked about earlier and earlier every year. I had to adjust fantasy playoffs so that players weren't resting but it looks like its still too late.

I don't like this with 15 games left....and I like it even less when the talk started happening with 20 games left. I can understand giving players a pracky off or more rest during the off game days down the stretch but purposely creating mysterious injuries or giving them the day off claiming maintenance is crap. Especially if I were a paying customer going to these games.

I suppose there's nothing that can be done to prevent it.....its like the dumb ass shootout...and no hitting....changing aspects of the game that I just have to get used to.

I'd like to see some production metric that tracks consistency throughout the regular season...possibly in Quarters. You can sort that on fantasy teams with points/stats in the last week/14 days/30days....I'd like to see it broken down on official stats pages. Does anyone know if you can find this somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:12 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

It's been going on for decades. When Detroit was always near the top of the league standings, Scotty Bowman and later, Mike Babcock would always start resting players somewhere between the 1st to the 15th of March especially as Detroit's main players got older. 1st or 2nd place in the conference was usually already guaranteed at that point so playoff seeding was already determined and the reasoning went, why risk your star players to injury in meaningless games at the end of the year. If you were a knowledgable fan you knew not to buy late season tickets games that were likely to mean little and would be missing any number of star veterans. There was usually one game near the end of March against somebody like Colorado and everyone knew that this was probably the last game where all the stars would play and give maximum effort until the playoffs began. The rest of the games were development time for some of the up and coming kids to get some NHL game time in. Now, as we all remember, this practice could be a two-edged sword as there were a number of years where the top players got rusty sitting out for too long and then a top seed would face an 8th seed that had been in playoff mode for 2 months just to get in and, viola, a first-round upset. The 2002 Red Wings are a classic example of this situation where Vancouver caught the Red Wings getting back into game shape in the first two games and it took the Red Wings until game 3 when they finally woke up and avoided the upset.

I don't know anything about fantasy leagues so I'll leave that to others to comment on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am 
King of Men

To me it just seems that the talk has been super early this year and started last month. Maybe that's because I listen to Calgary Flames radio and its been close to 15 years since they have been in a position to do this. Me as a team I would rather face Minny or Dallas then Vegas but hey whatever......I don't like the existing format anyway. But I don't remember the Bruins doing this all too much...maintenance days against teams out of the playoffs.....ok I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:57 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
To me it just seems that the talk has been super early this year and started last month. Maybe that's because I listen to Calgary Flames radio and its been close to 15 years since they have been in a position to do this. Me as a team I would rather face Minny or Dallas then Vegas but hey whatever......I don't like the existing format anyway. But I don't remember the Bruins doing this all too much...maintenance days against teams out of the playoffs.....ok I guess.

Perhaps it is more prevalent with western based teams?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:25 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
It's been going on for decades. When Detroit was always near the top of the league standings, Scotty Bowman and later, Mike Babcock would always start resting players somewhere between the 1st to the 15th of March especially as Detroit's main players got older. 1st or 2nd place in the conference was usually already guaranteed at that point so playoff seeding was already determined and the reasoning went, why risk your star players to injury in meaningless games at the end of the year. If you were a knowledgable fan you knew not to buy late season tickets games that were likely to mean little and would be missing any number of star veterans. There was usually one game near the end of March against somebody like Colorado and everyone knew that this was probably the last game where all the stars would play and give maximum effort until the playoffs began. The rest of the games were development time for some of the up and coming kids to get some NHL game time in. Now, as we all remember, this practice could be a two-edged sword as there were a number of years where the top players got rusty sitting out for too long and then a top seed would face an 8th seed that had been in playoff mode for 2 months just to get in and, viola, a first-round upset. The 2002 Red Wings are a classic example of this situation where Vancouver caught the Red Wings getting back into game shape in the first two games and it took the Red Wings until game 3 when they finally woke up and avoided the upset.

I don't know anything about fantasy leagues so I'll leave that to others to comment on.

Heh...remember when we went to the last game of the year against Chicago one season and it was actually a really entertaining game?

No problems with it. If you've essentially secured a playoff spot, then you try to limit one of the biggest factors for the playoffs - injuries.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm 
Big in Japan

With some teams really running away from their competitors in the standings, it makes total sense to rest guys, and there's no incentive to not do it.

If you're the Sharks, why overplay the vets?

But also, momentum is a big thing in the NHL, and we've seen countless 8 seeds pull off upsets in the first round riding high from playing competitive hockey till game 82. If I'm Tampa or Nashville, I don't want to get TOO comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Bosc wrote:
Heh...remember when we went to the last game of the year against Chicago one season and it was actually a really entertaining game?

I remember the game. I did not remember it was the last game of the season. I had a lot of fun seeing you, Anam and your pops. If I recall correctly I took you all over the place showing you where Dwight and I ran around in Detroit and at Joe Louis. I think I introduced you to our beer man, Joel, too. I saw Joel this US Thanksgiving Eve at the new arena. It was good to see him again. I miss the old hangouts like The Post Bar, Cobo Joe's and The Anchor Bar which have all closed since the new arena was opened.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 am 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I remember the game. I did not remember it was the last game of the season. I had a lot of fun seeing you, Anam and your pops. If I recall correctly I took you all over the place showing you where Dwight and I ran around in Detroit and at Joe Louis. I think I introduced you to our beer man, Joel, too. I saw Joel this US Thanksgiving Eve at the new arena. It was good to see him again. I miss the old hangouts like The Post Bar, Cobo Joe's and The Anchor Bar which have all closed since the new arena was opened.

Yup, I remember you taking us around as well! That's too bad that they closed...I guess losing a lot or all of the gameday traffic will do that, unfortunately.