Joel Quenneville 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Todd McLellan 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Bruce Boudreau 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mike Yeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:10 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I posted something on my ne'er-used blog before the season even started...it's already starting to look dated.

https://armoredheadspace.com/2018/08/31 ... ing-watch/

Anyway, here was the list:

1. Guy Boucher
2. Bruce Boudreau
3. Joel Quenneville
4. John Tortorella
5. Todd McLellan

Mike Yeo and Dave Hakstol were honorable mentions.

Based on this very young season, I think I'd go with this now:

1. Dave Hakstol
2. Phil Housley
3. Joel Quenneville
4. Todd McLellan
5. Mike Yeo

Hak is most assuredly gone, especially since his goalies keep getting shot out from under him. Just a matter of when. And I think Housley got the benefit of the doubt last season, but Buffalo is no better at either end of the ice than they were last season. He may just not be a great head coach. Maybe...that really is a bad team.

I think Boudreau is definitely gone because he's facing an impossible task, but not before the other ones. Quenneville's run had to end sometime, though it seems ridiculous that he's likely gone because of an injured star goalie and lousy management decisions.

Anyhow, we'll see if the Flyers manage to save Hakstol at the eleventh hour this time around.

In the article I marked Barry Trotz as the most safe NHL coach going into a season EVER, based on the fact he has double protection. He's a brand new head coach AND he won the Cup last year. That's some good mojo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:55 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Those Hawk's are going to be in tough without Crow in net. Q must be on the hot seat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:23 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
In the article I marked Barry Trotz as the most safe NHL coach going into a season EVER, based on the fact he has double protection. He's a brand new head coach AND he won the Cup last year. That's some good mojo.

The Isles are also very much in a mini-rebuild, with lowered expectations, full "analysis" mode, and could use a high draft pick. So he'd pretty much have to get caught on video beating kittens to death to be fired this year.

I voted Boucher, because the Senators are a total tire fire, and nothing would surprise me with them. And he still hasn't told the story of his scar, so screw him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:53 pm 

Shit...can't believe I didn't put Jeff Blashill on the list. He is most definitely gone at the end of this season, especially if Stevie Y takes over from Kenny this offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:25 am 
OTP Historian

Yeah I can't see Blashill going into next season. The Wings aren't anything resembling competitive at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm 

A dark horse candidate for firing (though I'd be surprised if he ended up being the first) is Paul Maurice, if for no other reason than the mix of heightened expectations and Pascal Vincent is currently in Manitoba, only a matter of time before he gets an NHL gig. Cheveldayoff may do what Tampa did with Jon Cooper and promote him regardless of how the current coach performs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:14 pm 
Big in Japan

It's early, but I don't know if Boughner could survive a rough October in Sunrise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:52 pm 

I think Housley and Tocchet are for sure doomed, but probably not until the offseason.

Buffalo just can't find the right guy post-Lindy. Watch them just go and get Lindy back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Apparently Phil Housley's wife is running for congress in Minnesota and is a bigot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:18 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Apparently Phil Housley's wife is running for congress in Minnesota and is a bigot.

Lovely. She'll probably win.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:13 pm 

Barring a miracle run, methinks Stevens is dunzo. Rumor has it Alain Vigneault would be the replacement guy. Makes sense if you're trying to get a team to play better offensively, but I think the Kings' issues go far beyond that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:39 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Barring a miracle run, methinks Stevens is dunzo. Rumor has it Alain Vigneault would be the replacement guy. Makes sense if you're trying to get a team to play better offensively, but I think the Kings' issues go far beyond that.
Wow - Stevens sacked and Willie D back in the NHL fold as Kings new head coach. Would have preferred AV if I were the one choosing the new head coach.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

Well, that's not surprising. I still think Hak is hanging by a thread.

Heard on On the Rush on NHL Radio that Randy Carlyle is in big trouble and Dallas Eakins is the current coach of their AHL affiliate in San Diego, that'll be something if he gets another shot. I thought he got hosed horribly by the Oilers, if anyone deserves another legit shot, it's him.

I am a little surprised they went with Desjardins because I too heard it was gonna be Vigneault. Was Willie already there as an assistant?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:44 am 
Big in Japan

Oh shit Quenneville! No one is safe, not even Cup winners!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, that's not surprising. I still think Hak is hanging by a thread.

Heard on On the Rush on NHL Radio that Randy Carlyle is in big trouble and Dallas Eakins is the current coach of their AHL affiliate in San Diego, that'll be something if he gets another shot. I thought he got hosed horribly by the Oilers, if anyone deserves another legit shot, it's him.

I am a little surprised they went with Desjardins because I too heard it was gonna be Vigneault. Was Willie already there as an assistant?
Don't think so, maybe as a Consultant. Heard that Blake had developed a relationship with Desjardins from their work with Team Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:43 am 

E.L. wrote:
Oh shit Quenneville! No one is safe, not even Cup winners!
Well suppose that was a long time coming. This team needed a shakeup.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 pm 

Q pays the price for the growing pile of mistakes made by his GM. Bowman's made a real mess of things. The trade of Hjalmarsson (which I've been told wasn't even necessary for cap purposes), dealing away Teuvo Teravainen just to dump an awful contract, trading Panarin for Saad, and last but not least, that ridiculous extension for Brent Seabrook, who hasn't been a top pairing guy for, like, seven years now.

Things had been contentious between Q and Stan for a while now. They fired his good buddy Mike Kitchen earlier, and Rocky Wirtz all but said at the end of last season that a coaching change would happen if things didn't change in a hurry.

I'm just glad I don't have to really like the Blackhawks anymore, and Q will have offers rolling in any second now. I just hope to hell it isn't St. Louis. I'd rather he take the year off and then decide what he wants to do in the offseason.

Here's a possibility: Even though Dave Tippett already works for them, Seattle sure seems like it'd be a solid destination for Q. Worked out just fine for Gallant when he got shitcanned around the same time in the 2016-17 season. Whatever it is, I'd rather it be in the east.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

$6M this year and next for Coach Q to do absolutely nothing. Failing upwards is the way to go!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I just have a tough time knowing that Blashil still has a job while Quenneville gets the heave-ho.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 pm 

RW wrote:
I just have a tough time knowing that Blashil still has a job while Quenneville gets the heave-ho.

It's all about the expectations I guess. Chicago is still at the point Detroit was at about 2 or so years ago, still thinking the window was still open when it really slammed shut long beforehand.