OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Who will be the first coach fired in 2017-18?
Alain Vigneault 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Jared Bednar 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paul Maurice 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Glen Gulutzan 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Other 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It's that time of year again, when we speculate which seat in the NHL might be hottest. Let's just get right into it:

Alain Vigneault, New York Rangers
I'd say this one is definitely the hottest simply because the Rangers went and hired a backup plan (Lindy Ruff) this offseason. This, coupled with the fact that New York did not do much to improve themselves, especially in goal, and are reliant more than ever on an aging Rick Nash and Henrik Lundqvist, just seem to spell doom for the veteran bench boss.

Paul Maurice, Winnipeg Jets
No coach is going in with a bigger target on his back (Vigneault barely edges him out because of the Ruff hiring) than Paul Maurice. On paper, this Jets team looks like it should take the Central by storm. But time and again injuries and shoddy goaltending have doomed them. There will be no soft landing for Maurice this time around, who is no stranger to the hook at this point in his career.

Jared Bednar, Colorado Avalanche
It seems strange to put a guy in his second year on this list, but few, if any NHL coaches had an NHL debut as awful as Bednar's last season. Management decided that the problem was in the roster and not him, and so have given him not only a reprieve, but the chance to hire his own staff--something Bednar was not able to do coming in on short notice last season. So now, the assistants are all his own guys, and while the Avs are not going to be a good team, it's hard to imagine they will be as bad as they were last season. Then again, one groin pull in net could spell disaster. Either way, I don't believe management will stand around and let the team tumble into the abyss without doing something this time around. Bednar is under the gun this year, and he knows it.

Glen Gulutzan, Calgary Flames
I've made it known I'm not a fan of Gulutzan, but he defied my expectations last season despite yet another year of terrible goaltending. Supposedly the solution will be Mike Smith (whom I'm also not a big fan of) but regardless, expectations will be extremely high for a Calgary team that traded for Smith, Travis Hamonic, and just signed Jaromir Jagr.

Honorable Mentions

Joel Quenneville, Chicago Blackhawks
We always include the current holder of "longest tenured coach", but I can't imagine the Hawks cutting ties with a man who may be the best head coach in franchise history. Still, stranger things have happened.

Jeff Blashill, Detroit Red Wings
It's hard to fault Blashill for any failings that have befallen Detroit, but the Red Wings are a franchise in flux right now, and Ken Holland may choose to make a change behind the bench if things go as poorly as expected before the axe comes for him as well.

Bill Peters, Carolina Hurricanes
We keep hearing about Carolina will be turning the corner any day now. Some thing "any day" is this year. Many believe Peters has gotten the most out of lousy rosters and even lousier goaltending. While the rebuild is likely not complete, there comes a point where those excuses run dry. Will it be this year?

Bonus Section - GMs on the Hot Seat

Garth Snow, New York Islanders
No GM in the league is under more pressure to succeed on multiple fronts. The Islanders will not only have to win for their fans, they will need to win to convince John Tavares to stay, and convince taxpayers of whatever municipal area they land in that they're worth a new stadium. I think anything less than a deep playoff run and long-term deal for the captain seals his fate.

Ken Holland, Detroit Red Wings
I just can't see Detroit giving Ken Holland the boot, but last year's performance along with some inexplicably bad decisions the last few offseasons make me think he is, at the very least, in trouble.

Marc Bergevin, Montreal Canadiens
I thought about putting Claude Julien on this list, but I don't think there's any way Julien gets fired before Bergevin does. So many poor decisions it's tough to tell where it all went wrong, but succeed or fail, Bergevin will always be the guy who traded P.K. Subban.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I'm hoping AV, because that means the Rangers are out of the playoff picture. :lol:

I doubt Snow gets canned. I've hoped for it, but he & Tavares are friendly, and at this point, it's mainly the arena deal that is keeping Tavares from signing, which is out of Snow's hands. The proposal was submitted for Belmont, but the NYCFC, which is backed by the Yankees, also submitted a proposal. Tough money to go up against.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Maurice is eternally on the hot seat. Definitely could see the Rangers and Hawks slipping enough to get their long-tenured coaches canned; both teams look a little lighter than usual.

DeBoer won't survive a slow start in San Jose. You'd think Detroit knows they'll be bad but maybe not and Blashill takes the fall.

Cassidy and Gulutzan were hired to be fired. Are either long-term options?

The Panthers are a mess, so it wouldn't shock me if Boogie Man gets cut before season's end.

For some reason I see Ottawa potentially taking a step back, which might get Melnyk's trigger finger a little itchy. Crawford is there to step in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm 

I'd give it one more loss in NY before the axe falls on Vigneault.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I'd give it one more loss in NY before the axe falls on Vigneault.

Then maybe the Habs will fire CJ and hire Vigneault...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Then maybe the Habs will fire CJ and hire Vigneault...

At this rate they're gonna be reaching pretty far in that back catalog of coaches. Bring back Bowman!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 pm 

BTW, there's this goalie from Laval who's likely itching to get back into managing an NHL team...just sayin', I wouldn't be shocked if it happened...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
BTW, there's this goalie from Laval who's likely itching to get back into managing an NHL team...just sayin', I wouldn't be shocked if it happened...

P. Roy? He's from Quebec City, but yeah, probably the next GM on the list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Dammit...I could swear there's a Quebecois player I like from Laval but I can't remember who now. Thought it might be Ray but, nope.

This is gonna drive me nuts.

I'm even trying to look up famous people from Laval I might have mixed Roy up with, closest I can come up with is Jonathan Bernier and former WWF wrestler Dino Bravo. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Dammit...I could swear there's a Quebecois player I like from Laval but I can't remember who now. Thought it might be Ray but, nope.

:

Mario Lemieux is from Montreal, but played his junior hockey in Laval. Besides that, I can't think of anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

This is gonna drive me nuts.

I'm even trying to look up famous people from Laval I might have mixed Roy up with, closest I can come up with is Jonathan Bernier and former WWF wrestler Dino Bravo. :lol:

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/city/nhl ... ty_id=4317

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:54 am 

Um...should I have added Rick Tocchet to the list?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Um...should I have added Rick Tocchet to the list?

Yep! He's starring in a desert shit show.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:57 pm 

Man, when's the last time we made it this far into a season with no one getting the axe?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:19 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Man, when's the last time we made it this far into a season with no one getting the axe?

There's probably going to be like 6 in 2 days very soon. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:39 pm 

Well I'll be damned...sure looks like we're gonna make it through the regular season and playoffs without a SINGLE COACH getting fired. When's the last time THAT happened!?

I guess I'll make predictions as to who gets fired this offseason: Alain Vigneault, Bill Peters, and possibly Dave Hakstol. No idea what happens to Guy Boucher at this point, it's full on crazy town in Ottawa.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:48 pm 

Never mind...Gulutzan takes the lead.

https://twitter.com/Fan960Wills/status/ ... 0742319104

Quote:
Chris Stewart taking line rushes with Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan. What an opportunity for the new #Flames forward.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:53 pm 

Unreal, the only in-season firing thus far? Ron Francis. And it wasn't even a "firing" per se.

My prediction (probably wrong of course): Dave Hakstol and Alain Vigneault get the axe after the season. Housley and Tocchet get a reprieve but will be front and center for first guys gone if their respective woes continue.

I will be shocked, but only a little surprised, if Trotz and/or Quenneville find themselves out of work.

Part of me wonders if Jared Bednar's brief career arc thus far will have teams thinking twice about dropping the hammer on their bench bosses after a craptacular season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 pm 

I'm hoping the Blackhawks can Quenneville, then the Isles hire him. I know it won't happen, but I can hope.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:18 am 

Oh I keep forgetting about GG in Calgary. He might not even make it to next week.