OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Who will be the first coach fired in 2017-18?
Alain Vigneault 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Jared Bednar 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paul Maurice 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Glen Gulutzan 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Other 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:43 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Wow. Here we are. I think it's safe to assume all 31 bench bosses will be safe until the regular season is over. This hasn't happened since the 1966-67 season, the final NHL season with the Original Six (!!!!!!).

However, I think it's gonna be a bloodbath afterwards. Gulutzan is most assuredly gone (Treliving might be as well). Vigneault in New York, Hakstol in Philadelphia, Blashill in Detroit, McLellan in Edmonton, all seats that are varying degrees of hot. I also have no idea what will happen in Dallas.

Which brings us to the interesting situation in Chicago. Quenneville is out of the playoffs for the first time during his tenure with the Hawks and reportedly things aren't swell between him and Scotty's Large Adult Son. I think one or the other might go, and since both Bowman's are pretty well ensconced within the organization, Q might be going elsewhere. If he does I'd love for him to land in Philly. I think that's the perfect team for him.

The one coaching job NO ONE wants, should it become available--the Ottawa Senators.

Also, when's the last time the team finishing dead last in the league didn't fire their head coach? The last coach to get canned at the bottom of the standings was Ted Nolan of the Supertanking Sabres in 2015. Since then it's been Toronto (Babcock), Colorado (Bednar), and now it's likely gonna be Buffalo again (Housley). Sabres won't fire Housley, so it'll be three seasons in a row where that coach gets to keep his job. Not sure if that's a thing or not, but I'm guessing it is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:26 pm 

Red Wings just announced a 2-year extension for Ken Holland. To be honest that kinda lines up perfectly with him leaving for Seattle in 2020. I assume that means Blashill is safe as well, but I suppose we'll see.

Blackhawks whatever-the-hell-he-is John McDonough said both Quenneville and Lil' Stanley are returning. Someone told me Q's current contract expires in 2019.

Earlier, Molson said Bergevin is safe, and there's no reason to believe Teflon Garth is in any danger whatsoever. Same goes for Ch-ch-ch-Chiarelli and McLellan in Edmonton.

Hakstol and the Flyers just qualified for the playoffs.

No idea what in hell happens with the Rangers and Vigneault. Same goes with Nill (and Hitch) in Dallas.

That leaves, Treliving, Gulutzan, and the Flames. Definitely the odds-on favorites for Ye Olde Chopping Bloque.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:59 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

From the look on Weight's face, he may step down. He looks miserable in all interviews.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:03 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:

No idea what in hell happens with the Rangers and Vigneault.

They fire him is what happens.

https://www.tsn.ca/rangers-fire-head-co ... -1.1050180

Someone will grab him quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 am 

us 679 part trois wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

No idea what in hell happens with the Rangers and Vigneault.

They fire him is what happens.

https://www.tsn.ca/rangers-fire-head-co ... -1.1050180

Someone will grab him quickly.

The NY Metro team that believes in accountability.... Son of a bitch.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:13 pm 

Well...that remains to be seen. Someone else will have to be fired before he gets snatched up. I still think Gulutzan is on borrowed time (both he and McLellan are currently delivering gifts to the survivors of the Humboldt Broncos accident, I wouldn't think either franchise would dare fire their guy while doing that)

It's a shame, I went from despising Vigneault (for admittedly ridiculous reasons) to being a huge fan...specifically for the tactics he used against the Avs. Unfortunately he really just kinda lost his way in New York, his roster management near the end (Cody McLeod on a line with Pavel Buchnevich!?) was just plain stupid. I hope he gets a fresh start if nothing else.

Rumblings are that AV ends up in Edmonton.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:11 pm 

Certainly not fired, but Trotz is not returning to the Capitals.

Rumor has it Lou Lam is getting an interview ASAP. Trotz can probably write his own contract now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:38 pm 

Well, if you'd have told me that not a single coach would be fired during the regular season AND the guy winning the Cup would be out of a job I'd have told you to quit vaping formaldehyde. But yet...here we are.

Also, the hirings we're seeing seem more than a bit unconventional. The Rangers seemingly hired Lindy Ruff as a fallback option for Vigneault, then after they finally do fire him, they go with a guy with zero NHL head coaching experience. Dallas also hires a successful NCAA bench boss. Calgary is about the only team that went the "traditional" route.

This is a very odd situation. The guys who won the Stanley Cup and the Calder Cup are available for hire. This is the best coaching free agent crop since like...ever. And yet, there's only one team really looking. I'm thinking both Dallas and New York might regret not waiting a bit longer before making their hires.

There is, of course, the possibility a team may just up and fire their current bench boss and get in the mix. It seems unlikely but possible that Edmonton, Philadelphia, or even St. Louis dumps their guy overboard in favor of Trotz or Keefe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Trotz can always take a year off and wait for more dominoes to fall. If not, the Isles need a coach. Could also see the Red Wings, Kings or Sabres making a move. Doubt the Oilers or Senators are attractive options. Strange times for the Canes and Panthers too--anything can happen.

Reirden is an obvious successor in Washington.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 pm 

I keep hearing the Isles are talking to Trotz, as are a "western team".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 pm 

One veteran coach won't be fielding calls anytime soon--Darryl Sutter says he's happy being a rancher.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/06/20/da ... -coaching/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:56 pm 
He of the red stockings

Chris18 wrote:

Rumor has it Lou Lam is getting an interview ASAP. Trotz can probably write his own contract now.

Lou got it done

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-barry-t ... 46664.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:12 pm 

hipcheck wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Lou got it done

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-barry-t ... 46664.html

:woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: