OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Athletic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm 
King of Men

A return to what hockey news used to be.......however you have to pay.

https://theathletic.com/nhl/

https://theathletic.com/86701/2017/08/2 ... -athletic/

I'd have to really like something to pay $4 a month to read it and that's after a discount the normal price is $8.

https://theathletic.com/plans/?source=header&curr=USD

I like the concept I just don't know if I'd be willing to pay that much

Post subject: Re: The Athletic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
A return to what hockey news used to be.......however you have to pay.

https://theathletic.com/nhl/

https://theathletic.com/86701/2017/08/2 ... -athletic/

I'd have to really like something to pay $4 a month to read it and that's after a discount the normal price is $8.

https://theathletic.com/plans/?source=header&curr=USD

I like the concept I just don't know if I'd be willing to pay that much

Fancy cup of coffee a month or a couple of beers a month for top-notch writing and analysis across multiple leagues.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Once they got Mirtle, Portzline, Bourne, AND Russo I knew I had to subscribe. That's just too much great content not to have access to.

If they somehow get Down Goes Brown it's over.

Hope to hell they get a Denver branch going. Rick Sadowski, former Avs beat writer for the much-missed Rocky Mountain News has made no secret of his desire to be working for a reputable publication once again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Once they got Mirtle, Portzline, Bourne, AND Russo I knew I had to subscribe. That's just too much great content not to have access to.

If they somehow get Down Goes Brown it's over.

Hope to hell they get a Denver branch going. Rick Sadowski, former Avs beat writer for the much-missed Rocky Mountain News has made no secret of his desire to be working for a reputable publication once again.

I subscribed before they even had the Detroit arm going, their Blue Jays and Leafs and general coverage was good enough as it is.

They've since added Detroit, more and more names, and Prashanth Iyer, a Wings fan who's very good, is also freelancing which is nice to see.

Pronman is doing prospect stuff if that's your thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:49 am 
King of Men

It seems you gents already know and subscribe to this! I'd be willing to pay $4....but not $8 a month. Eric Duhatschek joined as well.

https://theathletic.com/96615/2017/09/0 ... -athletic/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 am 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
It seems you gents already know and subscribe to this! I'd be willing to pay $4....but not $8 a month. Eric Duhatschek joined as well.

https://theathletic.com/96615/2017/09/0 ... -athletic/

They often have some specials and the rate that you sign up with is apparently your locked-in rate for the future.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:16 pm 
King of Men

All right.....you guys sold me for the trial. Since I am not doing a Money League this year I'll go for it. I miss all the old school hockey articles I used to read anyway. Hope this picks up where the puckmaster left off!!! $48 for a year.

Hopefully they can get the Stanley Cup Of Chowder on here as well....maybe some Matchsticks and Gasoline (oh looks like Kent Wilson is already aboard!). No Boston (might be a deal breaker)....I hope they are working on that.

Seems you've been discussing this site for a while Bosc. I didn't really hear about it until Eric was on the Calgary Flames radio yesterday morning making a plug.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 pm 
Big in Japan

This thing got big in a hurry. They even started a Montreal one in French.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Love the Athletic - they scooped Halford and Brough former Kurtenblog guys for Vancouver content.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:10 pm 

My one concern is that these guys are going balls-out (as they should) but once the investment dollars dry up I'm not 100% certain the subscription base will be there. People already bitch and moan about paywalls with newspapers, even though IMO ones that offer 10 free articles per month are reasonable. But getting legit content as opposed to Eklund's ad-laden bullshit is much more preferable. I don't know if everyone shares my viewpoint though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
My one concern is that these guys are going balls-out (as they should) but once the investment dollars dry up I'm not 100% certain the subscription base will be there. People already bitch and moan about paywalls with newspapers, even though IMO ones that offer 10 free articles per month are reasonable. But getting legit content as opposed to Eklund's ad-laden bullshit is much more preferable. I don't know if everyone shares my viewpoint though.
Agree. The NY Times model. I subscribed mainly for the curated cooking content but it offers so much more. When the paywall came up after getting several months of free content, it seemed reasonable for what I get in return. If it's customized and speaks more directly to what I am looking for like the Athletic, I don't mind paying a bit of $$ for that service. But not much more than few bucks per month across a few rags.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:24 am 
King of Men

Disappointing the Athletic has chosen to bring this distracting anthem banter into the hockey world. Thankfully Duhatschek is still writing good articles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 pm 

Damn...they got the Puck Daddy!

http://gregwyshynski.com/2017/09/29/far ... uck-daddy/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:53 pm 
King of Men

F'n A right! I am glad I chose to sign up for a year. The articles about the Flames have been excellent. I hope they get Boston on board soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:00 pm 

Wait...now I'm hearing he's going to ESPN. Bummer. Oh well, still a ridiculous amount of talent over at The Athletic.

Still holding out hope they start a Denver branch and bring Rick Sadowski into the fold.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 am 
King of Men

Eh.....verdict is still out on this. I definitely don't read it as much as I thought I might.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:04 pm 

I think I've already said this but the Bourne analysis alone is worth it. He dissects the game so expertly it's ridiculous. I also really enjoy the Pronman and Dom Luczczycyczcycycn pieces as they delve into areas I'm not too familiar with.

I went into this as a regular reader of Russo, Portzline, and Mirtle so I haven't been let down so far. It's funny how you can tell, especially with Russo, that they're not writing like newspaper guys anymore. The yoke's been thrown off.

I hope the app expands so I can check scores outside of the teams they cover. The NHL app is just plain horrid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
I think I've already said this but the Bourne analysis alone is worth it. He dissects the game so expertly it's ridiculous. I also really enjoy the Pronman and Dom Luczczycyczcycycn pieces as they delve into areas I'm not too familiar with.

I went into this as a regular reader of Russo, Portzline, and Mirtle so I haven't been let down so far. It's funny how you can tell, especially with Russo, that they're not writing like newspaper guys anymore. The yoke's been thrown off.

I hope the app expands so I can check scores outside of the teams they cover. The NHL app is just plain horrid.

What is this analysis? Maybe I missed it. I would really like them to extend coverage to Boston. The Score app used to be awesome but they recently changed their layout and like every other app they have succumbed to full page ads due to their popularity.

Its an awful lot to pay for something that I don't use every day. Perhaps I need to give it more of a chance. Thanks for steering me back on course.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 pm 

Justin Bourne has a semi-regular column entitled "Systems Analyst". The nifty thing with the app/website is that you can look articles up by author.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:56 pm 

Oh and since we're on the subject of Bourne, I used to think Mark Spector was just another boring-ass mittenstringer, but, upon further analysis, he's a full-blown dickhead of the highest order.