OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Athletic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:09 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So far I've yet to read a bad article on The Athletic. BSN Denver has switched to a subscription service but I'm likely not going to go in. I might opt for a free trial however.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 pm 
Big in Japan

I got a deal too good to pass up: 3.50 Canadian per month for a year. Did it for the baseball, but the hockey is a nice bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:06 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Jason Botchford leaves the Province for The Athletic. Nice move for the Vancouver hockey market.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:22 am 
OTP Historian

Down Goes Brown is on board. Apparently they offered him a spot when it was first starting and he turned it down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

They finally got some pushback when they tried to raid some DC rags for talent.

https://deadspin.com/the-athletic-fails ... 1828532944

I do kinda wonder if we will see a downswing at some point. They've been growing like mad and raising a ton of investor money to do so, but like any business starting out with a bang this big, I'm not certain they'll deliver on some very high expectations.

The Athletic Denver has so far been kind of a disappointment. Right away they got three good writers for the Broncos, Nuggets, and Rockies, but struggled to get a regular guy for the Avalanche beat. They finally hired Ryan S. Clark, who's been good, but so far hasn't delivered news or an analytical piece that really intrigued me. He's still new so there's time yet. I was planning on ditching my BSN subscription (that's Dater's current gig for those who are curious) as soon as the Athletic arrived, but so far they've been delivering far, far better content. Still keeping both for the time being.

And I'm still not sure why in hell they hired Rick Reilly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Athletic grew a bunch this year, but we'll see what happens when all our low introductory rates run out. I too think there'll be a dip.

It's just like Uber, Spotify etc., all bleeding money while they use investment capital to outlast the establishment. Newspapers have done themselves no favours, though, so we'll see if they can fight back against the Athletic. Most won't, I suspect, especially in cheap cheap Canadian media.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:19 am 
King of Men

Is anyone still subscribing to this? I got an offer for 6 months free but apparently it was just click bait and only really 50% off. I see its gone up to $60. and 9.99 a month if you go that route.

I've been able to get by with other sources so not particularly interested unless its $19.99 for a year or some other special.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:25 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
Is anyone still subscribing to this? I got an offer for 6 months free but apparently it was just click bait and only really 50% off. I see its gone up to $60. and 9.99 a month if you go that route.

I've been able to get by with other sources so not particularly interested unless its $19.99 for a year or some other special.

I do. Read it every morning like the paper. Honestly, I love reading beat guys from other teams. It's like a window into a world you don't normally get to see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:33 am 
OTP Historian

Yeah I'm still subscribed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:34 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Bosc wrote:
Yeah I'm still subscribed.
Yeah me too. Did an annual membership that renews in September. Will probably re-up. It's a solid rag.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:53 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:

I did the same as you, said F them when I saw the pricing. I'm too cheap to subscribe. I wait for others to discuss the articles. :lol:
I also know I'd waste too much time reading bullshit about teams I don't care about instead of doing actual work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:03 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:
I did the same as you, said F them when I saw the pricing. I'm too cheap to subscribe. I wait for others to discuss the articles. :lol:
I also know I'd waste too much time reading bullshit about teams I don't care about instead of doing actual work.

I can send you a link to get it free for a month if you're interested.

I'm subscribed but I usually look for a good deal before mashing the subscribe button. I got 50% off the first year, then this past year, it was like $40CAD instead of $70 or so...

I've all but stopped reading the local Norts Spews and instead just read the Athletic.

BTW, did everyone hear about what happened to Justin Morrisette?