OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new- ... challenge/

A failed offsides challenge will now result in a penalty for the team calling it. Frankly the challenge should be eliminated entirely, but whatever, this should at least eliminate most of the bullshit challenges coaches were making just because.

Also, no more time outs after an icing call.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:

I like that one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:16 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-rule-adds-pressure-nhl-coaches-asking-offside-challenge/

A failed offsides challenge will now result in a penalty for the team calling it. Frankly the challenge should be eliminated entirely, but whatever, this should at least eliminate most of the bullshit challenges coaches were making just because.

Quote:
From now on, a failed offside challenge will result in a two-minute penalty against the club asking for the review. It’s a potentially powerful infraction. Can you imagine a team in a tight game giving up a goal it thought was offside, losing the challenge, then having to withstand an immediate power-play opportunity? It’s going to make bench bosses much more wary — and ratchet up the pressure on video coaches.

Incorrect goaltender interference reviews stay the same — the loss of your timeout. That’s probably a wise decision, since there’s much more grey area than with an offside call.

Why yes I can imagine the shit show that's going to cause.

I don't get it. Just dump the dumb ass offsides challenge...it ruins the game. As a matter of fact dump the ability to challenge Goaltender interference as well...that's all subjective. This is not the NFL....there isn't any need for review or challenging of anything other than a goal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 am 

I like the new one of 2 centers being tossed from the faceoff results in a penalty. Quit cheating ya fucks! All the players seem to hate it, which makes me like it even more. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:02 pm 

The people bitching about the slashing calls need to shut the hell up and play hockey. Players can't have it both ways--they whine about how slashing and stickwork is rampant and leading to injuries, then whine when the league finally cracks down. Sadly, I'm sure it'll last until maybe December before things revert back to normal.

I remember when coaches told me to give the guy a little tap with the stick if they ever beat me and were breaking for the goal. I refused. Sure, occasionally I'd make a desperation play and tripped the guy (resulting in a penalty) but I never intentionally slashed or even tapped someone with the stick. That's horseshit.

I'll wait and see on the faceoff rule. Was it really that big a deal? I want them to return to hurry-up faceoffs so those idiotic scrums in front of the net are done away with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
The people bitching about the slashing calls need to shut the hell up and play hockey. Players can't have it both ways--they whine about how slashing and stickwork is rampant and leading to injuries, then whine when the league finally cracks down. Sadly, I'm sure it'll last until maybe December before things revert back to normal.

I remember when coaches told me to give the guy a little tap with the stick if they ever beat me and were breaking for the goal. I refused. Sure, occasionally I'd make a desperation play and tripped the guy (resulting in a penalty) but I never intentionally slashed or even tapped someone with the stick. That's horseshit.

I'll wait and see on the faceoff rule. Was it really that big a deal? I want them to return to hurry-up faceoffs so those idiotic scrums in front of the net are done away with.

Your coaches told you to slash people? Holy shit. I've told kids to hook or trip, but never slash. That's fucked up. Even the hooking & tripping, I tell kids to keep it to a minimum. Instead, I try to teach them to not get beaten. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 pm 

They suggested a little tap here and there. Why, I don't know. Thankfully not MANY of my coaches suggested something like that.

Now, the whole "mess with the guy in front of the net" thing, I loved doing that. I didn't hack and slash but just about everything else that was legal I did.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Love the idea of cracking down on the stick work on arms and hands. Not even an injury thing for me I want to see skill players handle the puck more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
They suggested a little tap here and there. Why, I don't know. Thankfully not MANY of my coaches suggested something like that.

Now, the whole "mess with the guy in front of the net" thing, I loved doing that. I didn't hack and slash but just about everything else that was legal I did.

Yeah, that's the place for it, if there is one.. When someone is skating past though, swinging a stick will rarely result in it hitting where you aim.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 pm 
King of Men

I like the rule changes this year. I don't care what the players say.....the game is much better to watch....less hacking and slashing......players are actually able to get fee and score now.

Loved the failed challenge the other night and the 2 minute delay of game penalty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:57 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
I like the rule changes this year. I don't care what the players say.....the game is much better to watch....less hacking and slashing......players are actually able to get fee and score now.

Loved the failed challenge the other night and the 2 minute delay of game penalty.

Isles just got a 2 min penalty for a wrong offsides challenge. No idea wtf Weight was looking at when he challenged. Puck was clearly still on the blueline to me, about 1/3 of it. I like this rule.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 pm 

Some people are saying the crackdown on slashing is allowing more obstruction, though I'm not sure I'm seeing that.

I'm okay with the rules, the faceoff one is weird but whatever, I suppose it's working thus far.

We'll see if this crackdown lasts past January though.