OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for all
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:41 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

We may have discussed this before (I probably brought it up), but I don't remember.

Do you say "we" about your favorite team? As in "we have a big game tonight!" I have a coworker who insists on saying "we" about the Rangers, and "you guys" to me about the Isles. I've never been a fan of this, but I know other people do it all the time. I've been told I'm "not a real fan" because I don't do it, which I find quite funny.

Just wondering what you guys all think about it.

Post subject: Re: Question for all
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:45 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm not a big fan of saying "we" when it comes to my favourite teams because I'm just a spectator. I'm not involved in any way and when people do it, it feels like they're taking credit for being a fan.

Then again, it's the fans that pay the bills. By watching, buying tickets, buying swag, you're helping the team stay in business, so you are contributing in a way.

So I don't like doing it myself, but if someone's passionate about their team, it doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:16 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Try not to say it but suspect I do say "us" sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:20 pm 
OTP Historian

I think I probably still say it sometimes but try not to.

I woud guess that there is some correlation between the amount of success a team has and how often their fans use it. The more success, the more "we".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:16 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Not a big fan of 'we'. Afterall, I am not playing the game and have zero bearing on the outcome.

It used to bug me when other people said it - but now I don't mind either way. I'm just not into myself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:11 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I call the team, the Detroit Red Wings or Red Wings, I reserve the term "we" for friends and family. We are OTP. I don't use "we" when referencing a professional sports franchises I happen to follow. If I were stupid enough to show up at the gate on game night and tell the ticket usher that I should get in because we are all one thing. I will be swiftly corrected about my incorrect thoughts about the concept of we. They are, at this point in human history, a collection of millionaires being paid by a billionaire whose likely sole purpose is to extract the maximum amount of cash out of my wallet possible. I do realise that I am, in my own small way, paying into the system right now by purchasing tickets and buying a couple of scotches at the boozer in the concourse between periods. I still enjoy the few games that I still attend. It is only two games this year. The Montreal game that occurred on November 26 and the Chicago game on March 10. It is more and more likely that it will only be one in the near future, my annual pre-Thanksgiving game. I will not be holding my breath waiting for the Red Wings to be calling asking where are you Skip? What happened to we.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:27 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I certainly don't mind when others do it, and I still say "we" on occasion when I refer to the Broncos. I've been rooting for them since I was a wee lad and don't even pretend to be objective when it comes to them. It's different when it comes to hockey. I'm a bit more neutral since I'm more of a hockey fan than an Avalanche fan, and it just feels weird saying or typing it when referring to them.