OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:08 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Huh, much less fallout than I would've thought.

And I learned there's an added wrinkle with McIlrath. He has to play 41 games this year or he's a Group (VI is it? I don't know) UFA. I doubt anyone will want to play a guy like that for half a season.

MPS had real promise, at least as a really good defensive forward. But injuries have pretty much ended that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:00 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Huh, much less fallout than I would've thought.

And I learned there's an added wrinkle with McIlrath. He has to play 41 games this year or he's a Group (VI is it? I don't know) UFA. I doubt anyone will want to play a guy like that for half a season.

MPS had real promise, at least as a really good defensive forward. But injuries have pretty much ended that.

Quote:
A bit on MPS from Canucks Army.

Paajarvi's goal scoring over the last few seasons has been suboptimal, although it is not always how it appears. Last year Paajarvi scored just three goals, despite taking 88 shots on net, giving him a shooting percentage of 3.4 percent. That conversion rate ranked 359th out of 367 forwards that played at least 500 minutes in all situations in 2015-16.

This is in spite his 8.63 shots-on-goal per minutes minutes at 5-on-5 being 59th out of 352 (forwards with at least 500 5-on-5 minutes in 2015-16). His linemates weren't faring much better, as Paajarvi had a 4.32 on-ice shooting percentage at 5-on-5, which ranked 341st out of 352, which all contributed to an abysmal PDO of 96.6.

If these numbers are making your brain hurt, this is all to say that Paajarvi was horrendously unlucky last season. Note also the effect that he has on his linemates' Expected Goals-For ratios in the HERO chart above

Outside of past production, Paajarvi's possession numbers suggest that he's driving play at a second line rate, and suppressing shots at a first line rate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Halak!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:24 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

With that cap hit, I bet Halak clears...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:28 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Logical Progression wrote:
With that cap hit, I bet Halak clears...

I think so. They've apparently been trying to trade him since last year, and haven't even gotten low-ball offers. He's not the problem, but he certainly hasn't been a solution for the Isles. He showed in the WC that he can still play above average, but hasn't for the Isles. He's hated the 3-headed goalie monster, but his health issues are what made it necessary. The Isles have claimed since his first year with them that he's not willing to do extra stretches/exercises to get in better shape to stay healthy.

Now Greiss will have them over a barrel since he's a UFA. Berube is an RFA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Lots of waivers:

VAN claim F Reid Boucher
CAR claim F Ty Rattie
BOS G Anton Khudobin waived
SJS F Matt Nieto waived

I thought Nieto was good. Apparently he isn't anymore. Rattie and Boucher were sorta prospects at one point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:46 pm 

Rattie's claim to NHL fame is that he was indirectly part of the major deal between the Blues and Avalanche that saw Erik Johnson and Kevin Shattenkirk swap cities. How interesting in hindsight that it sure looked like Johnson and Chris Stewart were the best players in that deal. Avs got the Blues' 1st rounder (11th overall, they picked Duncan Siemens) and the Blues got the Avs' 2nd rounder, where they took Rattie. Siemens for his part is still trying like hell to make the NHL and frankly he should've gotten a shot a long time ago. He might yet if the front office in Colorado makes a fucking decision this year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Avs claim D Mark Barberio from the Habs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:30 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Avs claim D Mark Barberio from the Habs

And subsequently put Eric Gelinas on the wire. Again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Preds place C Mike Ribeiro on waivers. Still putting up assists (21 in 46 games), but it can't make up for the rest of his game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:18 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Preds place C Mike Ribeiro on waivers. Still putting up assists (21 in 46 games), but it can't make up for the rest of his game.

Also can't make up for the severe lack of character he possesses.

This is one instance where I'm glad Poile is having a very bad decision bite him in the ass.

Some are speculating that this is preparation for a run at Duchene. Playing in Music City would be a dream come true for Matty.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:08 pm 
OTP Historian

With Smith coming back, Marchenko is the one waived from Detroit. Right decision, I think. It's not Ericsson but then I don't think anyone thought he'd be the one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:55 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Bosc wrote:
With Smith coming back, Marchenko is the one waived from Detroit. Right decision, I think. It's not Ericsson but then I don't think anyone thought he'd be the one.

If we are going to rebuild we might as well jettison the Smith's and the Ericsson's and not toss away the Marchenko's and the Pulkninon's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:07 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
Bosc wrote:

If we are going to rebuild we might as well jettison the Smith's and the Ericsson's and not toss away the Marchenko's and the Pulkninon's.

Completely agree on Pulk, thought that was a stupid move.

Agreed on Ericsson, of course. He's making too much money for what he does.

Marchenko is ok but in my opinion, Oullet is better and Sproul has more upside. I like Smith and at this point he's better than everyone not named Mike Green, but the org doesn't believe that at all. I'd love to see him re-signed if they could move any of Ericsson, Kronwall(they wouldn't move him so its out of the question) or even DDK, but based on he coaching staff's idiotic usage it simply won't happen. So if they aren't going to re-sign him, then they might as well deal him.