John Hynes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Claude Julien 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Mike Yeo 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It's already time to speculate. And without further ado, the list:

1. Ken Hitchcock
One way or another, I think this is Hitch's final year in the NHL. He's only agreed to 1-year extensions in recent years, which means he's eyeing the door. I guess it comes down to whether or not he goes through it of his own volition or gets shoved. Doug Armstrong is under pressure to deliver on the promise this team seemingly has every season. It doesn't help that one could argue the Blues actually took a step back this offseason with the unloading of T.J. Oshie in a cap move.

2. Patrick Roy
Highly unlikely Roy gets the hook this soon into his coaching/GM gig, but I can't imagine his bosses were happy about seeing a team with such a bloated payroll deliver such a horrendous on-ice product. The good news is that this re-tooled roster looks a lot better than last year's train wreck, but only time will tell if Roy can actually put all the pieces he and Joe Sakic have collected. Keep in mind this is a team that has now lost their best defensive forward two years in a row.

3. Darryl Sutter
If the Kings on-ice results are anything like the PR blunders they've endured the past year-plus, I could see Lombardi making a move. After all, he's done it before.

4. Michel Therrien
I feel like Therrien's success was mainly due to the success of Carey Price. Once can only bail his team and coach out for so long. See: Lundqvist, Henrik.

5. Jack Capuano
I know Chris doesn't like this guy, I personally don't think he's bad, but now he's under the gun for the first time in his NHL coaching career. Expectations are actually high for the first time in a long time in Brooklyniondale.

6. John Hynes
I dunno...should I stop posting the New Jersey guy now that Lou "Itchy Trigger Finger" Lamoriello is no longer GM? I think I'm gonna miss that.

7. Claude Julien
Hard to believe less than two months into his tenure and Don Sweeney is already the runaway candidate for Worst GM in the National Hockey League. That doesn't bode well for the Bruins or the guy behind their bench. Whether or not this is an actual rebuilding effort, guys tenured as long as Julien facing a bad season usually don't last the year given past precedents.

And for the guy I think will go down in flames first...

8. Mike Yeo
I almost had Julien here, but this guy has o-so-narrowly avoided the axe two years in a row now, I don't think he'll avoid it again. Basically Yeo's job depends on Thomas Vanek avoiding his loan sharks and the goaltending of Devan Dubnyk. There are worse scenarios, but I still wouldn't bet on it working. Of course he'll also likely play Ryan Suter into the ground again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Hitch's last year in the NHL? I think even if he and St. Loo part ways that he will be back as a head coach somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:31 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Hitch's last year in the NHL? I think even if he and St. Loo part ways that he will be back as a head coach somewhere.

Maybe, but the fact that he's signing these one-year extensions tells me he either he learned in Philly that a long-term extension offers no job security whatsoever (which may actually be the case) or he's 63 and probably doesn't want to start over with another organization. I guess we'll see. I'll actually be kinda sad when Hitch finally retires.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:37 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Gotta wonder about Vaigneault as well if the Rangers have a slow start. New management being phased in, tons of pressure to win there. Probably more a season end thing than a mid-season one.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm 

Oh, honorable mention: Dave Tippett. The city already fired the team, so I'm not sure it makes any difference to fire the bench boss when he currently doesn't have a bench.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:39 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Gotta wonder about Vaigneault as well if the Rangers have a slow start. New management being phased in, tons of pressure to win there. Probably more a season end thing than a mid-season one.

Yeah, I wonder if that might be the case. NY is in a severe cap crunch right now, that looks like a severely top-heavy team. Then again I certainly didn't think they would make it as far as they did last season, so I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:47 pm 
King of the One-Liner

voted Capuano. Not cause I am convinced the Islanders will stink but just do not care for the coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Columbus needs to start strong or Richards is done. Lots of pressure to prove last year was an injury riddled fluke.

Same with Los Angeles, maybe. With Stephens waiting in the wings Sutter might not stick around if the team doesn't shape up.

I'm sure the Hurricanes like Peters, but if they're bad, they're bad.

Wouldn't put it past Vancouver or Pittsburgh to do something brash.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:34 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
voted Capuano. Not cause I am convinced the Islanders will stink but just do not care for the coaching.

Thank you.

I have to hope he isn't fired- because that means the Isles will suck. Unless they start like 0-5 and Snow pulls a hair trigger on him. Then they start actually playing.... But supposedly the players like him. I hope they start to realize winning is more important than playing for a guy they like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:28 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Thank you.

I have to hope he isn't fired- because that means the Isles will suck. Unless they start like 0-5 and Snow pulls a hair trigger on him. Then they start actually playing.... But supposedly the players like him. I hope they start to realize winning is more important than playing for a guy they like.

The age-old problem with NHL coaches--whether to hire a hard-ass or a players' coach. The Kings bucked the trend by firing a hard-ass and replacing him with an even harder-ass, and it worked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:11 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Thank you.

The age-old problem with NHL coaches--whether to hire a hard-ass or a players' coach. The Kings bucked the trend by firing a hard-ass and replacing him with an even harder-ass, and it worked.

Logically extending that theory, the Isles should fire Capuano and bring in the players' mommies? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:15 pm 

So far, no one's gotten fired.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:14 am 

Av-merican wrote:
So far, no one's gotten fired.

:woop:

Capuano may get a longer hook if Halak's injury is serious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:39 pm 

Oh, did not realize the Ducks hired MacLean as an assistant coach. Boudreau is definitely on this list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:47 pm 

Of course the one guy I forgot to list is the guy who's likely gone soon.

Columbus already off to a terrible start. Seat is blazin' hot right now.

I think Jarmo might be in trouble right now as well...but really, Lumbus needs to hire a guy and stick with 'em.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:13 pm 
Big in Japan

I think Rutherford will pull the trigger on Johnston. Shame Old Jim left the coach with a lousy defence corps.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:59 am 

Man, I so did not read the tea leaves well enough. No doubt whatsoever who the first guy axed will be. The Ducks remain goalless and are playing a soft perimeter game. The DUCKS! And they already hired Boudreau's replacement, so it's a matter of when, not if, at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnston got the hook as well, but I think it'll at least be farther into the season. I also think Richards will be done before soon if Bobrovsky doesn't get back on the force in a hurry.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:42 am 
Big in Japan

One goal in four games! How is that even possible?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:16 am 

E.L. wrote:
One goal in four games! How is that even possible?

Watch 'em play. It's shocking how little they do to push the play in the attacking zone.

Avs actually posted a Corsi around 32% tonight. Reto Berra was in nets (and was scrambling throughout) and yet I don't think the Ducks crashed the net even once tonight. Just...stunning. Boudreau has definitely lost them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:08 pm 

Boudreau staves off the inevitable with a big win against the Wylde.

Pretty sure if the Jax don't win tonight, Richards is a goner.