OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Budweiser Goal Light
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:57 am 
King of Men

This deserves its own thread. Novel idea.....but for the price $150....availability around Canada only and limited offer of support this one is a dud. There is also a 10 second delay.

Quote:
Description Quantity Price

Don’t miss your chance. Pre-order your Budweiser Red Light for our next shipment June 10, 2013. Subject to delivery timelines by location and unanticipated delays./ Ne manque pas ta chance. Précommande ta Lumière de but Budweiser pour notre prochaine livraison du 10 juin 2013. Assujetti à des horaires de livraison selon l’endroit et à des retards imprévus.

$149.00
+ taxes and
shipping rates.

In purchasing this device, I am aware that the Budweiser Red Light data feed may only be supported for a limited period of time, and will only work during regular and playoff games.
I acknowledge that I have Pre-Ordered a Budweiser Red LIght for shipment week of June 10, 2013. Subject to delivery timelines by location and unanticipated delays.
Note, Budweiser Red Lights are currently only available in Canada.
To ensure that all die-hard hockey fans get a chance to have their very own Budweiser Red Light, orders are limited to 1 per transaction.
Please note that we cannot ship to PO Boxes.

Until they can figure out how to add delay, volume control and the United States. This should be easy enough to sync up to some server so it can go off for any team or game. Would be even cooler if the dude actually pushing the button at the rink affected this bad boy as well. Pay attention NHL!

Save yourself $150 and buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Fever-Goal-Li ... B005UV4W5I

Still pretty awesome though if they could tweak it and get the price down.

Post subject: Re: Budweiser Goal Light
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Some broadcasts have massive delays, more than 10s, and this actually tells you a goal is going to happen before it does. I know Andrew Berkshire of Eyes on the Prize was saying it would go off about 40s before a TSN Montreal broadcast showed the goal for the Habs-Islanders game earlier this week.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 am 
King of Men

saskhab wrote:
Some broadcasts have massive delays, more than 10s, and this actually tells you a goal is going to happen before it does. I know Andrew Berkshire of Eyes on the Prize was saying it would go off about 40s before a TSN Montreal broadcast showed the goal for the Habs-Islanders game earlier this week.

Oh that's terrible! I would break that thing! They need a delay adjuster.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Don't all live broadcasts have a 7 second delay in the US, in case of cursing or something? Not that they don't slip through anyway. But plenty of the hockey web sites have longer delays. TSN has at least 1 minute if not much longer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

I... don't understand why you need a light to go off when you already know they've scored. Turn on your own damn light if it's that important.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm 
King of Men

I think you mean this.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/fan-fever-h ... ingle.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Jyrki21 wrote:
I... don't understand why you need a light to go off when you already know they've scored. Turn on your own damn light if it's that important.

Really? You don't understand why something like this could be popular despite being completely superfluous? Have you NEVER picked up an issue of Maxim? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:01 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:

Really? You don't understand why something like this could be popular despite being completely superfluous? Have you NEVER picked up an issue of Maxim? :lol:

I'm now assuming the ultimate goal of this is to make having sex while the game is on that much better.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 am 

saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:

I'm now assuming the ultimate goal of this is to make having sex while the game is on that much better.

If you see a red light during sex, that could be problematic.

I see the goal light going off for all NHL goals. You're doing something around the house, and there's a game on you don't really care about.... but the red light goes on, so you go check out the replay to see who scored & if it was a nice goal. Should come with a "replay" button that takes you to a video on the NHL site, if they were smart. So it won't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm 
King of Men

This thing is awesome. They finally fixed all the issues (there is a delay adjuster in the app) and made it available in the US. Its pricey....but damn its cool.

:beer:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:38 am 
King of Men

harmfuljays wrote:
This thing is awesome. They finally fixed all the issues (there is a delay adjuster in the app) and made it available in the US. Its pricey....but damn its cool.

:beer:

I f'n love this thing! I even bought a synched up Calgary Flames cup off of Ebay from the 1 Flames playoff game last year. Sometimes it can be a bit terrifying when it gets late or the delay is too far off but its all adjustable.

I think I will buy one for Butch when he finishes building his house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3soOt7aVxRE

(not my video)

Interestingly enough it seems to have gone up in price $160 is ridiculous......but....its better than a Vegas Knights game.

F'n awesome...if the current price tag is not enough you Canadians can buy the Gold limited edition Wayne Gretzky one for only $400!

https://www.budredlights.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:33 pm 
King of Men

Again....this is f'n awesome....yeah I knocked it but then I tried it. The only minor gripe I have on this is depending on your internet connection the delay can vary on NHL.tv. So me personally I would rather have the horn be late than too early. But its all controlled by an app on your phone.

Everytime I think about this thing I think about the professor calling it superfluous.....nothing could explain this better!

The new version seems to be a bit condensed.

You know hockey season is getting close when you are turning this back on and making sure it works (2.4ghz only).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm 
King of Men

Even more Awesomeness this year.....looks like you can choose team horns. The Bruins finally scored tonight and it is the actual team horn now!!!!! :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 am 
King of Men

About a month ago they stopped supporting the old app and my horn just stopped signalling goals...but was still telling me it was time to get some buds before game time.

I called the 1-800-268-2337 help line for the Red Light....because, god damn, this is just too expensive to not work properly. This customer service guy at the club tells me I have to download a new app (at least he spoke clear english).

So I download the new app...it wants bluetooth, location for permissions and some age verification with a verified account (highly disturbing). I set it up and...hey....where did the unique goal horns go? I google it...and lots of folks seem to be bitching about their $170 novelty that worked just fine and now doesn't.

Either way it seems to have been fixed quickly with all the bitching and the unique goal horns are back. I turned off all the permissions after setting it up on the newapp and it doesn't seem to require phone connectivity once its been setup. I have had a little bit of trouble with the horn delay....nothing more irritating then watching the game and having the goal horn go off 5 seconds before the actual goal (but I've gotten used to it and it could be worse like no goal at all). The newapp is still a piece of shit (constantly demanding bluetooth) but at least the functionality has been restored.

We'll see how this goes when I try to setup my Calgary Flames cup come playoff time!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 pm 
King of Men

This thing is perfect now...goes off 5-10 seconds after the goal with the actual Flames or Bruins rink horn. Tells me to grab beers 5 minutes before the game.

I threw the wife a bone and added the Avalanche this year....no Pepsi center horn though just the default. I think these things are now $250....so if you thought it was outrageous and superfluous before...now its just ludicrous!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:24 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Damn, I was thinking about getting one...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:41 am 

It's cool as hell, but that price will keep me admiring from a distance. Unless there's a black Friday sale for it. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:52 pm 
King of Men

The odd thing is its still at a reasonable price in Canada. Well it was last week...it was still at $160.....looks like $199 now.

https://www.shopbeergear.ca/collections ... n=redlight

One guy I know paid $250 for it up at the Bud Shop in Fort Collins........I don't think I could do that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:56 am 
King of Men

This damn thing has been going off everyday at 7pm EST/5pm MST for the past few months...just once and with the generic horn. Must be in support of the front line beer workers...yeah that's it.

Reddit seems to have acknowledged this as well.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comment ... notice_it/

Its back on and ready to go...the support is so sketchy I would imagine one day it just stops working and no one knows why.

How this thing is $270 in the states and $199 in Canada is beyond me. I'd say I wouldn't buy one at that price but having experienced it for several seasons now......yeah I would. :D

Its almost time!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:09 pm 
King of Men

Still going strong for a decade! What a product!