OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

WTF?!

Please don't turn this into partisan bickering, or it'll get moved out of this forum.

But seriously, WTF? Does he have any public policy experience? And you sort of need to be able to read to do much at the Senate... this isn't a shot at Demers, it's in the nature of what Senators do, what with the reviewing legislation and all that.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is set to appoint former hockey coach Jacques Demers to the Senate.

Mr. Demers is likely the best known on the list of upcoming appointments, having taken the Montreal Canadiens to the Stanley Cup in 1993. The Conservatives hope that his surprise nomination will overshadow – or at least remove some of the glare – from the rest of the patronage nominations, including some of Mr. Harper's closest political backers.

Mr. Demers publicly admitted being largely illiterate in a book in 2005, and could use his Senate seat to promote reading skills across the country.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

its a grab at the Quebec vote, nothing more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:11 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

How many NHL players/coaches are now in the Canadian senate?

Demers learned how to read a few years ago, but I doubt he's very good at it.

This will all be fixed when the Conservatives take power and implement senate reform. Hey, wait a sec... :doh:

Sorry if that above snide comment was too political.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:23 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm an illiterate journalist who works only 60% of the time - I'm the perfect candidate for the Senate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:14 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

We have an opening in our Senate if you don't want him...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:50 pm 
Big in Japan

...and Demers doesn't even have to quit his analyst job.

Quote:
Même s'il sera un peu plus occupé, Demers conservera tout de même son rôle d'analystes des matchs du Canadien à RDS.

"J’ai appris la nouvelle à mes patrons (Gerry Frappier et Domenic Vannelli ) et ils sont prêts à travailler avec moi. Il y a évidemment certaines journées où je devrai m’absenter afin d’être à Ottawa, mais nous allons nous organiser."

Sign me up!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:05 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
...and Demers doesn't even have to quit his analyst job.

Quote:
Même s'il sera un peu plus occupé, Demers conservera tout de même son rôle d'analystes des matchs du Canadien à RDS.

"J’ai appris la nouvelle à mes patrons (Gerry Frappier et Domenic Vannelli ) et ils sont prêts à travailler avec moi. Il y a évidemment certaines journées où je devrai m’absenter afin d’être à Ottawa, mais nous allons nous organiser."

Sign me up!

Why would he? We've had senators that live in Mexico year round.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:14 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

E.L. wrote:

I gotta say, when I read this part -- and for the benefit of the monolingos he's saying "obviously there'll be days when I can't show up" -- I was certain he was going to say "because it's a game day and I have to be at the studio."

At least he's giving governance the priority here, even if it doing so probably makes him a traitor to much of RDS's viewership. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 pm 
Loves The Cock

I think the man has contributed a great deal to Canadian culture by virture of his work in hockey alone... I like this better than the usual golden parachute patronage appointments...