OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Who is the first coach fired this season?
Mike Sullivan 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
John Tortorella 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Geoff Ward 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
John Hynes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paul Maurice 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bob Boughner 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:14 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Odd, yeah they had a cold streak but what was expectations if you fire the coach with the record what it is.
They're basically .500 and that's with their dominance against the Canucks. This is a team that had a good couple of weeks then tanked.
It's weird that they lost to Ottawa who might be getting better but are still terrible. Isn't Gudbranson a top 4 guy? What a strange season this is. :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
It's weird that they lost to Ottawa who might be getting better but are still terrible. Isn't Gudbranson a top 4 guy? What a strange season this is. :?

Uh, no, NotGoodbranson is not a top-four defender. He's barely a bottom pairing guy. But so long as guys like Bob Murray, Dale Tallon, and Pierre Dorion exist and believe that big, slow defenders who hit everything in sight and treat the puck like a grenade still have a place in the NHL, he'll have a home. Them trading for both that guy and Austin Watson were a couple of the dumbest moves that were made by any team this offseason.

Ottawa has a nice young core in place, and Stutzle should be a superstar in due time. Dorion just needs to do a better job surrounding it (and also maybe get a better goalie). He's generally been a man with a good eye for young talent so, unless Melnyk pulls the rug out from under him (again) they'll be a very good team in a couple years. It's unfortunate the Habs never decided to tank and try and get a gamebreaker themselves. Suzuki is about the only guy who comes close to that mark IMO. Bergevin has done a much better job than I initially gave him credit for, but this remains a good, but not great team, and Carey Price is starting to look like a shell of the elite netminder he once was.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:05 pm 
Big in Japan

As much I as love Kotkaniemi and think he's got plenty of potential, watching Brady Tkachuk run roughshod on the Habs for two games straight could've been enough to clean house altogether.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:42 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Ralph "Freddy" Krueger has his dream of being an NHL coach killed. It was a long, drawn out blood bath, but it's finally over- for him.

The rest of the team must continue to sleep through the rest of this miserable season and hope they come out the other side. Or wake up in another city soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:36 am 
Big in Japan

Apparently the players loved Ralph. Apparently everyone loves Ralph. But the dude just has a lousy record as a coach.

Anyone keep a tab on coaches Taylor Hall killed?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:41 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Apparently the players loved Ralph. Apparently everyone loves Ralph. But the dude just has a lousy record as a coach.

Anyone keep a tab on coaches Taylor Hall killed?

https://twitter.com/SpuddyMcKenzie/stat ... 3499803649

Quote:
Taylor Hall’s coaches since joining the NHL
Edm:
Tom Renney
Ralph Krueger
Dallas Eakins
Todd Nelson
Todd McLellan

NJ:
John Hynes
Alain Nasredine

Ari:
Rick Tochett

Buffalo:
Ralph Krueger
Don Granato

His longest time with a coach was Renney (164 games) and Hynes (272 games).

Well, Tocchet is still employed so he obviously doesn't count, but I had totally forgotten that Krueger got shitcanned TWICE while TH4 was around.

Somebody said it best when also referring to Matt Duchene--at some point you have to wonder about these guys who just lose everywhere they go despite being elite talents.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:43 am 
OTP Historian

Good lord, if not only losing two straight against the Wings but being outshot by double-digits in both won't for Jarmo to can Torts, then nothing will.

They're only 4 points out of the last playoff spot in the Central, but then you get to play Tampa in the 1st round.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:49 pm 

Yeah, I think the Jackets players are making it clear they're done with their coach. Seth Jones is just imploding right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:23 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Good lord, if not only losing two straight against the Wings but being outshot by double-digits in both won't for Jarmo to can Torts, then nothing will.

They're only 4 points out of the last playoff spot in the Central, but then you get to play Tampa in the 1st round.

Wonder if Torts could ramp them up for a series vs his old team. Would almost be cool to see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:53 pm 

So there have been firings and hirings, and if the report I read is correct, Andre Tourigny will be filling in the last opening in Arizona. All other teams appear to be spoken for.

Somewhat surprising: Rick Tocchet, who was a bit of a hot commodity and interviewed for a few positions, ends up getting hired by no one.

More surprising: Gabby is left without a team for the second year in a row. If I'm Toronto, I think I go and hire Boudreau to replace the now-departed Dave Hakstol. I think he'd be a much, much better fit, probably do a better job of fixing the imploded power play, and the Leafs were his team growing up, he admitted not that long ago that he's still actually a big fan. Plus, it gives the team a possible option if indeed they want to move on from Sheldon Keefe. The only downside is that if you hire Boudreau, Keefe will automatically be looking over his shoulder. Not an ideal situation.

Absolutely flabbergasting: How in the holy fucking hell did Dallas Eakins hold onto his job!?!?!? If there was a firing I was betting on, it sure seemed like that one. But yet...he's coming back? Why? I honestly think he's a good guy with good ideas, and at the AHL level at least he's a good coach. But so far his run both in Edmonoton and Anaheim has left a ton to be desired. That to me is more shocking than all the batshit crazy stuff going down in New York this season.

I think next year's list should be verrrrrry interesting, because I think both Keefe and/or Bednar will be at or near the top.