Post subject: 3-2-1 Point system
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:23 am 
King of Men

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/19313 ... n-be-fixed

Yep...its time to drop the loser point.

Post subject: Re: 3-2-1 Point system
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:53 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The only reason this isn't happening is because of people who still care about bullshit like "original 6 teams". It's simply the desire to not see old point totals shattered by new records, even though they'd be using a different system. Put a fucking asterisk on the new point records and step into the 2000s. The current system is moronic and requires the Pythagorean Theorem to figure out who holds tie breakers. Is that the reason the league does it- traffic on their site? :lol: But seriously, the 3-2-1-0 system would work so much better and really would entice teams to really go for it in regulation. Fewer OT/SO games would be great if it means more excitement in regulation. I feel like most teams totally play for the safety of 1 guaranteed point if it's tied with less than 3 minutes to go. Nobody goes for the regulation win. 3-2-1-0 would make that happen more often.

I don't expect Bettman to do it. Ever. It would be changing what he put in place, which would be akin to admitting his system wasn't good. Maybe there will be a new commissioner soon and they'll have the brains to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:20 am 
King of Men

yes sir. I have never been a fan of the shoot out. It completely takes away from the team effort. As the article discusses and what I have noticed over the past few years is team's playing safe in 3 on 3....playing keepaway looking for rushes........way to bore up the 3 on 3. What I could see here is an extension of 3 on 3. Bettman would probably call that a compromise and keep his stupid loser point system in place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:52 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Just bring back the goddamned tie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:13 pm 
Big in Japan

I don't hate the current system enough to change it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
yes sir. I have never been a fan of the shoot out. It completely takes away from the team effort. As the article discusses and what I have noticed over the past few years is team's playing safe in 3 on 3....playing keepaway looking for rushes........way to bore up the 3 on 3. What I could see here is an extension of 3 on 3. Bettman would probably call that a compromise and keep his stupid loser point system in place.

I'll admit I liked the entertainment prospect of shootouts when they first started. But they've gotten boring, and yes, they totally detract from the team aspect of a team sport.

And I agree that 3 on 3 has basically turned into "get control, create just enough of an offensive threat to tire out the opposing 3 players, exit the zone to change your players but not theirs, and then attack their tired players or while they're making a poorly timed change."