OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Heard on TEAM1040 this morning, which camp are you in?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 am
Team Luongo: He's our No.1 goalie and a big reason this team is challenging once again for the President's Trophy. 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Team Schneider: Start the Ginger Jesus - Do anything you can to get rid of Luongo's albatross of a contract; I have no faith in him to take this team deep into this year's playoffs. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Team First: Ride the hottest hand but if there is any hint of mediocre or poor play, don't hesitate to switch things up. The Canucks have excellent depth at this position so leverage it as much as possible. 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:29 am 
Old Man of the Post

Which camp are you in?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:45 am 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

camp 3. there are 29 other teams that would love the problem that we have. its a team game, you are not playing like the #1 you don't get the number 1

I have faith in both goalies Yesterdays game, i don't fault loogongo on the last 3. fans need to realize its a team game. If there is a player out of position as bad as MAG was last night, no-one will stop a puck that close.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

My sig might suggest different but I'm Team first and have no qualms with Lou getting the start in game one of the playoffs but after that they'd better be going with whoever is playing best and I actually think that's what they are going to do now, much to my relief.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Oh and yeah if we could find some way to dump Lou's salary I'd be more than happy to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Anyone not saying "Team first" is being kind of silly, but I do lack a bit of faith in the Canucks' coaching staff to handle this entirely the right way, and feel that the best guy won't always be starting. I tend to agree with my cousin's theory that completely irrespectively of how the starter played the game before, you simply keep alternating to screw with the opposition and keep them both sharp yet rested.

That said, I think anyone who doesn't believe that Schneider has been the stronger of the two this season is deluding themselves, but I don't think that means Luongo "can't win" or "isn't good enough", but rather that Schneider has been more solid throughout the season. I do much prefer Schneider's goaltending style in the abstract, however, and think he will show less variation from game to game (and is harder for shooters to solve), and given his age, if there were any way to do it, he'd be the one I would keep long-term. But that almost certainly won't happen, so...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 pm 

Lou has been a star for a decade, go with him until he falters. No question in my mind he is the best goalie we've ever had.

All depends on the playoffs, if he carries the team he stays, if Schneider takes over and is brilliant not sure Lou would want to be the guy that forces Schneider to leave knowing he was only #1 because of a NTC, I think he'd want to prove himself elsewhere.

And just think if Lack is everything we hear he is we have two more years of this but with a Lou and Eddie controversy (or perhaps Corey and Eddie).............too many riches are incredibly good problems to have.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:37 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
And just think if Lack is everything we hear he is we have two more years of this but with a Lou and Eddie controversy (or perhaps Corey and Eddie).............too many riches are incredibly good problems to have.

It does seem strange for this team to have this kind of depth and strength at this position when we aren't that far removed from Alex Auld, Johan Hedberg and Chris Levesque.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:18 pm 

in my opinion we gave up on Levesque way to early.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

No sooner is a verbal CBA agreement in place than chatter about Luongo begins in earnest. Mirtle tweeted the only thing holding Luongo back from going to Toronto would be Luongo. Certainly hope a trade to Florida doesn't happen--Florida has a much better option at goal already.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:38 pm 

i doubt he will get till the summer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 pm 

Oh. The Flyers are in on the Luongo sweepstakes. I shouldn't be surprised by this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 pm 

this...just...got...AWESOME! bidding war!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm 

Holmgren made a pretty vehement denial of any interest in Luongo, which means absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Oh. The Flyers are in on the Luongo sweepstakes. I shouldn't be surprised by this.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 am 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:

and what are they going to do with Bryz? trade him?... can they? buy out all those years? Hard to believe that rumour.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

and what are they going to do with Bryz? trade him?... can they? buy out all those years? Hard to believe that rumour.

It's possible to do. They go into this season with the most expensive goalie tandem in NHL history, then use the free buyout this summer and jettison Bryz. Apparently they have enough LTIR space from Pronger to make this work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

It's possible to do. They go into this season with the most expensive goalie tandem in NHL history, then use the free buyout this summer and jettison Bryz. Apparently they have enough LTIR space from Pronger to make this work.

'04 Wings have them beat!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I know it's possible to buy him out just don't think it is very likely at all even for Philly to pay that price tag. See buyouts more going toward one and two year left deal rather than long terms.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

'04 Wings have them beat!

Nope, Luongo/Bryz would be higher: $10m for Bryz this year, $6.716m for Luo. I believe Joseph/Hasek were an 8/6 split with like 1.5 for Legace.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:30 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
I know it's possible to buy him out just don't think it is very likely at all even for Philly to pay that price tag. See buyouts more going toward one and two year left deal rather than long terms.

Snider has proven time and time and time again that money is no object. If he has a shot at throwing money away to rectify a stupid mistake, improve the team, and have it not impact the cap, he'll do it. Don't forget this is the team that made a HUGE offer sheet to Shea Weber when they had little cap room to do so.

The question is whether the Flyers want to go into the season with what would be an enormous distraction of a disgruntled Bryzgalov and a Luongo miffed that the Russian won't pump his tires.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next