OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 am 
OTP Historian

Damn, O'Reilly buried 28 goals last year...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:40 am 
OTP Historian

Not sure what this is worth but I think it was Andrew Walker of Brady and Walker on Fan590, said this morning that he knows guys who played youth, junior and NHL with Kane and nobody likes him. Bourne was guest hosting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Reportedly O'Reilly is seeking a $6.75 million dollar deal, whereas the Avs are seeking $5.5 mil.

On one hand, O'Reilly is asking for more than what the best 2-way players in hockey currently make. On the other hand, the Avs are offering the bare minimum that they can offer him according to the QO from his previous offer sheet contract. A lot of fans are siding against O'Reilly this time, more than before, but I'm not so sure it's that cut-and-dried. Whatever the case, I'm just tired of this drama resurfacing after it pretty much blew up in the Avs' faces two seasons ago. SURELY some middle ground can be reached. Why wouldn't O'Reilly snag the kind of deal both Duchene and Landeskog both got?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 pm 
King of Men

Obviously the Avs have no intention of keeping him around once he becomes a UFA. I doubt O'Reilly will even let them sniff his dirty jock when the time comes. This relationship is wrecked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:30 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/541792

2 years, $12m for ROR, avoiding arbitration. He'll be a UFA at the end of the deal.

Now to trade him.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:29 pm 

Consensus is that he will be dealt around the deadline when his value is at its max.

Lost in all the discussion about O'Reilly is the fact that Tyson Barrie is still not signed. And unlike O'Reilly he doesn't have any sort of arbitration insulation in place. I suppose that could be a good sign...or maybe not.

While I thought Roy used O'Reilly in kind of an innovative way last season, he better try a more conventional approach next season with Paul Stastny gone. It'd be simple--give O'Reilly and Landeskog the tough checking minutes and primary PK duties, give the softer minutes to Duchene, and the REALLY soft minutes to MacKinnon. Using O'Reilly as Duchene's defensive conscience as well as someone to create turnovers aplenty was a good idea, but the Avs likely have other players who can do that.

It's bad enough the Avs are planning to use Brad Stuart on the top pairing with Erik Johnson, we don't need to see more of Johnny Malkin as third line center too.

I'd actually like to see what a line of Landy/ROR/Iginla could do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:

Would mean Duchene and Mackinnon playing together, or Mackinnon on the 3rd line?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:47 pm 

hammer wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Would mean Duchene and Mackinnon playing together, or Mackinnon on the 3rd line?

Yes, MacKinnon on the "third" line, though it wouldn't operate as one. Just give him sheltered minutes and put him out there with Tyson Barrie as much as possible.

Under no circumstances should MacKinnon and Duchene be on the same line, any time Roy put them together it was awful to watch. Both play way too similar, kept skating to the same parts of the ice and getting confused. They were a little better on the power play though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 pm 

I knew they were cutting it close, but not this close. The two sides were literally seconds away from entering the room for the arbitration hearing. This really was a last-minute deal, sealed with a handshake between Sakic and O'Reilly.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_ ... -topic-bar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 am 
King of Men

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2014/07 ... eer/19003/

Sarich mowed down while bicycling in BC. Of course this comes as no surprise to me with the ridiculous amounts of cyclists on the road in CO. Seems to be ok but he is 35.

On O'Reilly:

Quote:
The Avs were confident they would "win" the case. But they also knew the attitude that would develop with Morris if that happened.

"I said to Joe, 'If you win, you also lose,' and that everybody would lose — the club, the player and the fans," Morris said. "Joe was very professional about it and very prepared, as was Greg Sherman. We both knew what our upside and our downside was, and it didn't take a rocket scientist to see the path to where the middle point was.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 am 

I think it's safe to say that O'Reilly is the best two-way forward the Avs have ever had. Some would argue Sakic is but while he was a very complete player, he should still be characterized as a scoring forward. I don't know of I've ever seen one player so expertly dismantle a power play like O'Reilly does. Every single time last season he was on the PK a shorthanded scoring chance was generated. And that was with the Avs' shitty D behind him.

Whatever the case, the Avs should do everything possible to hold onto him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm 

Ugh...this is fucked.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/09/15/russia ... in-support

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24