OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The WJHC Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:17 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Ah, didn't realize Bogosian was a Yankee (since he was playing in the O). I guess they are missing one player as a result. So, subtract that single player from Canada's total.

Guess this was going to be a fairly weak D year for Canada, although one of Doughty or Schenn would've made a huge impact. I'll still say 3 since Gilles should be a d-man and not a forward. :P

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:41 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Ah, didn't realize Bogosian was a Yankee (since he was playing in the O). I guess they are missing one player as a result. So, subtract that single player from Canada's total.

Guess this was going to be a fairly weak D year for Canada, although one of Doughty or Schenn would've made a huge impact.

Oh yeah, those two would have been their best shutdown guys and Quinn probably could have put Doughty out there for 40 minutes a game without any problems. The kid's averaging 24 minutes a game and at least 26 in the past 4 games :shock:

Shoulda brought Brendan Smith :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:08 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I think we get lit up a little and Sweden will win easily 6-3.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:37 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

every year im pretty confident Canada will win the gold when i review the roster and read the reports. But this year, i don't feel as confident.

I think the future Canucks/redwings will beat Canada, 4-2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:51 pm 

5-4 Canada. Tavares scores 4 goals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Game On! :clint:

Where's Greenberg?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:40 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Subban draws first blood on an early early pp!

1-0 Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 pm 
OTP Clown

the sweetish goalie is a candy ass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:03 pm 
OTP Clown

who paid off the reff?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 pm 
OTP Clown

I'd like to see the sweetish goalie pee his pants.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 pm 
OTP Clown

sweeds are fucking greasy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Where the hell has this Angelo been the past 2 seasons? 2-0.

Also, 8 minor penalties for Della Rovere in the tournament. This kid makes Steve Downie look like a Rhodes scholar.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 pm 
Big in Japan

A very impressive win for the home team. Team Canada closed every shooting lane, won the battles along the boards and kept their composure as the Swedish team became more desperate. Other than Esposito and Tavares, I can't think of too many standout performances - everyone played a solid game.

That includes tournament whipping boys Tokarski and Pietrangelo. Tokarski still stinks - he had trouble handling far too many long shots - but he did make 39 saves (even if the Swedes had very few genuine scoring chances).

This was a really surprising win; the Swedes were the better team on paper yet Canada dominated from start to finish.

Seeing Victor Hedman javelin his stick after the first empty-netter was something.

Also, memo to Eugene Melnyk: stop hugging Pernell Subban, he's Habs property. Go after Pat Quinn, that's the guy you really need.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 am 
OTP Historian

Even after Canada got the first goal, I thought the Swedes came on for a few minutes after that and thought they were going to go on and take it. Guess not :shock:

I watched the Swedes against Slovakia, and I still had to figure out what number Hedman was during this game. I just never noticed him on the ice and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. He did throw a big hit on someone, after some shit around their goalie.

Cody Hodgson was a better player than both Eberle and Tavares. That kid just knows exactly where to go and what to do with or without the puck. He didn't come up with spectacular goals(though that goal he scored last night was a hell of a shot on such a quick release and I don't think Markstrom was expecting it at all), but he was making everything happen, great hands and passing, taking important draws, always the first on the PK and PP. He might not be as flashy but he gets it done. He and Tavares are both machines on faceoffs.

Sick goal by Esposito. Atlanta has to be pleased. Especially with how physical he was and the fact that he was killing penalties. Not sure if he's like that in the Q but it doesn't sound like he is by what you're saying, E.L.

5 in a row. That's fucking awesome. Way to go boys. These two teams could easily be back in the finals next year. They both have a lot of players eligible to return. Though neither Tavares and Hodgson are likely to be back...

2 18-year olds wearing A's. Not often you see that in this tourney.

Lone Swede goal from a Detroit draft pick. This tourney says that maybe the Swedish goalie should have been as well instead of the US goalie...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:24 am 
King of the One-Liner

Funny that I thought the Goalies would be the difference maker this game, but for Sweden.

As a goalie I had a hard time watching the Swedish goalie with the bad dive attempts followed by indignant protest, at least maybe the NHL will have someone to take the torch from the dominator for laughable diving regularity. I was near embarrassed for him and on a serious note think early on it may of been a big factor in unhinging the whole Swedish teams focus.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Funny that I thought the Goalies would be the difference maker this game, but for Sweden.

As a goalie I had a hard time watching the Swedish goalie with the bad dive attempts followed by indignant protest, at least maybe the NHL will have someone to take the torch from the dominator for laughable diving regularity. I was near embarrassed for him and on a serious note think early on it may of been a big factor in unhinging the whole Swedish teams focus.

Brodeur still carries that torch, there's no need to put undue pressure on the kid to make the NHL so quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:51 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Brodeur still carries that torch, there's no need to put undue pressure on the kid to make the NHL so quickly.

If Brodeur carries that torch because Hasek has retired, Roloson is right behind him in the procession. Ozzy has his fair share too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:56 am 
Old Man of the Post

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Cody Hodgson was a better player than both Eberle and Tavares. That kid just knows exactly where to go and what to do with or without the puck. He didn't come up with spectacular goals(though that goal he scored last night was a hell of a shot on such a quick release and I don't think Markstrom was expecting it at all), but he was making everything happen, great hands and passing, taking important draws, always the first on the PK and PP. He might not be as flashy but he gets it done. He and Tavares are both machines on faceoffs.

:rock:

On second thought, once he gets his whale on, he'll go all Patrick White on us... :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:15 pm 
OTP Historian

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

:rock:

On second thought, once he gets his whale on, he'll go all Patrick White on us... :fffffuck:

Looks like Bob McKenzie agrees with me, for what it's worth(nothing to Razz of course).

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=262109

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:39 pm 
Big in Japan

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Sick goal by Esposito. Atlanta has to be pleased. Especially with how physical he was and the fact that he was killing penalties. Not sure if he's like that in the Q but it doesn't sound like he is by what you're saying, E.L.

Angelo is a great kid with immense skill and the right attitude, so his struggles in junior hockey came as a huge shock around these parts.

His case is one where as a 15-16 year old he was simply too big and fast for his age group, but he plateaued young in terms of development. It wasn't due to lack of effort, as he always worked hard and tried to get bigger, but whereas in the past could just use his speed to blow by people, he found himself becoming too much of a perimetre player unable to win battles against bigger defencemen. He was starting to remind me of a Rico Fata or Jeff Friesen - all speed no finish - but in this tournament he finally demonstrated that he can still be a complete player who creates offence, uses his speed to cause turnovers and who can actually instigate physical play.

Maybe he'll be a late bloomer after all, like a Dan Cleary type. Anybody willing to try out for the junior team four times and to show the maturity to never say anything about the program or his former coach with the Remparts will be willing to do what it takes to make the NHL.

Expect me to be in the stands in Verdun next week for the Montreal Junior game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next