OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: goalie questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hey OTP goalies (Hounsy & Bosc only?)

Should a goalie stick have more than 1 layer of tape on the blade? I was given a stick with like 8 layers of tape. I'm not sure if this is simply because the putz who gave it to me is too lazy/dumb to take of previous layers, or if the extra thickness is there to deaden the bounces off the stick (only reason I could think of for it being there). thoughts?
This is for squirts (9 & 10 year olds) so my concern is the extra weight on the end of the blade.
Also, there is tape 15" up from the paddle. Seems totally ridiculous to me. Is it? I thought 1 hand thickness would be plenty down there. If you're going to move your hand up to pass, you don't want all that tape holding the hand in place, right?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: goalie questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:21 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Should a goalie stick have more than 1 layer of tape on the blade? I was given a stick with like 8 layers of tape. I'm not sure if this is simply because the putz who gave it to me is too lazy/dumb to take of previous layers, or if the extra thickness is there to deaden the bounces off the stick (only reason I could think of for it being there). thoughts?
This is for squirts (9 & 10 year olds) so my concern is the extra weight on the end of the blade.
Also, there is tape 15" up from the paddle. Seems totally ridiculous to me. Is it? I thought 1 hand thickness would be plenty down there. If you're going to move your hand up to pass, you don't want all that tape holding the hand in place, right?

Thanks.

Saskhab played net I believe, and I think Hollywood played some junior A or B, but he's not around that much anymore.

I think it's all personal preference. I honestly wouldn't know what to recommend for kids. Extra weight might keep it on the ice more for kids :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:21 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Thanks.

Saskhab played net I believe, and I think Hollywood played some junior A or B, but he's not around that much anymore.

I think it's all personal preference. I honestly wouldn't know what to recommend for kids. Extra weight might keep it on the ice more for kids :P

Sask actually played goalie? I thought he was just working on the 02/03 goalie profiles!

Good point about the additional weight. But most of them don't have a hard time keeping the stick down: It's keeping the blade square to shooters they can't handle. If I had a dollar for every time I caught a child goalie with their stick pointing at the shooter I'd have enough money to hire a goalie coach. Or, at least enough to sign my kid up for a team with paid coaches so I wouldn't have to deal with this shit myself. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:42 pm 

After performing an archeological dig to remove all the tape I see the stick was used for roller hockey a lot, leaving the bottom splintered, and as fat as a bean burrito- with the same consistency. :fffffuck:

Dumped a bunch of wood glue in & clamped. Hoping for the best.

Arg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I read "archaeological dig" and immediately thought this was about the exact moment I discovered fire... I was prepared to act indugnant at the mere suggestion. Thankfully, I read on and it wasn't.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:40 pm 
King of the One-Liner

One layer of tape for me. when saving with the stick your normally trying to propel it to the corner so do not want to deaden it. As well only put tape on the blade and knob as I do not like it sticky in my blocker hand as I want it to slide easy when playing the puck or the odd time you poke check.

The most common mistake I see in sticks is paddle to long, don't want to pop the hole under the blocker arm in the B-fly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
One layer of tape for me. when saving with the stick your normally trying to propel it to the corner so do not want to deaden it. As well only put tape on the blade and knob as I do not like it sticky in my blocker hand as I want it to slide easy when playing the puck or the odd time you poke check.

The most common mistake I see in sticks is paddle to long, don't want to pop the hole under the blocker arm in the B-fly.

I've got one layer of tape, but I put an extra strip along the bottom of the blade for me. I do that with my player sticks as well. Probably takes 2-3 times as long before I have to re-tape the sticks that way.

I also don't put any extra tape on besides the knob and the blade.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:02 pm 

Thanks goalie dudes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:47 pm 

Thread resurrection alert!

I've got a C-level goalie on a peewee A team (I think in Canada that would translate to an A level goalie on a AAA team?). I mean brutal. The parents think she's the next Manon Rheaume. :roll:

Do you guys know any good goalie training books, videos, etc? I know there are a billion youtube videos, and books. But I'm wondering if you guys can first hand recommend any. I don't have time to waste reading/watching ones that will marginally help. I'm looking for drills, info on angles, positioning, etc. I played goalie in all of 3 practices like 25 years ago and for some reason I just don't know enough to be considered a legit goalie coach (/sarcasm). I know I'm not going to turn the kid into a brick wall in 2 weeks, but I've got to help the kid or I'm going to have an entire team hating her for 6 months. I'm hoping a little success will bolster her confidence and then her game will improve...

Any help is very much appreciated. I'm in trouble here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Peewee is what 12? The few times I've ruined kids with my goalie coaching I find they need some basic stance, basic body position(butterfly), and basic lateral skills in place before angles and positioning are useful. Has the kid done any goalie camps?

That said here is a close to home video. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:17 am 
OTP Historian

I don't have any resources that I know of. My Dad, who never played goal in his life, was our goalie coach.

Is she getting to where she needs to be? If she's not, then start with skating(front and backwards!!!), lateral movement. My Dad always made us do the skating drills, and worked going post or center to top of crease, all sorts of movement around the crease. Make sure that when she starts, she can stop at where she needs to be.

If she's already where she needs to be, then as Hounsy said, stance and body position. Is she balanced when she goes down and gets up? Can she get into a butterfly and get back up quickly? If not, you might want to try with the one-legged butterfly(classic Brodeur) a little more so than full butterfly.

Is she finding herself down on the ice and unable to recover? Work on up and downs and keeping her balance going down. Work on getting up on each leg.

Start at a post or the middle. Push out to the top of the paint. Down, up, down, up. Push across the crease. Down, up, down, up. Backwards to the opposite post, covering the side. You can do this with her by skating out in the slot and having her follow you, work on balance and positioning, then following you when you skate again. Do it with a puck. Push towards the net and have her back in with you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 am 
OTP Historian

I hadn't watched that video before my post yesterday, it wasn't coming up :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:19 pm 
King of the One-Liner

yeah I fixed the screwed up link.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:58 pm 

Thanks guys. I guess I'm a better goalie coach than I knew, because I had her doing most of this stuff already.
Her two biggest problems are basic stamina and pure laziness. Like most teams with a few dads volunteering to coach, we don't have a legit goalie coach, and rarely does anyone think about the goalie when designing drills. We do lots of drills where players skate out with a puck, go through cones, or around the circle, come in and shoot... The goalie is either getting rapid fire shots, or is waiting a while between shots. On the ones where she's waiting around, I have been making her drop into butterflies, right, left, and then both legs. After a few she's totally spent and pretends to have a pulled muscle (groin pulls changed sides twice in one practice), or be hurt by a weak shot that clearly hit a pad. I've knelt behind the net and watched where she's leaving open and where she makes saves. It's revealed a very interesting point: When she keeps moving (ie, doing the butterfly sets) she's actually really good. But if she's set in position when the shooter comes in she barely moves a muscle in a save attempt! I mean feet stay rooted like an oak, and gloves barely move! It's like she's a statue if she's set up. Her positioning is pretty good (angles), but that doesn't mean you go stone! I had a long chat with her, including asking if she wants to be a goalie or her parents signed her up for it... Says she wants to be.
So goalies, how do I convince her to keep moving during games? :lol:

PS- I got Francois Allaire's Hockey Goalie's Complete Guide. Now I just need to find time to read it. :?

And thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Is she closing her eyes when the puck is shot?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:31 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
I've knelt behind the net and watched where she's leaving open

You actually had to kneel??

:P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:36 pm 
OTP Historian

us 679 part trois wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:31 pm 

us 679 part trois wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

We used to have a middle finger smiley. Where did it go?

Bosc wrote:
Is she closing her eyes when the puck is shot?

:shock: Holy shit. I'll have to check for that. Maybe not though. It's weird, if she's in motion she's pretty good. If her feet are planted, they're seriously like mafia cement shoes. They aren't going to start moving...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:34 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I would think just taking shots along the ice in repetition telling here where the shot is going and forcing her to move may snap her out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:47 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
I would think just taking shots along the ice in repetition telling here where the shot is going and forcing her to move may snap her out of it.

I don't mean in some practices she doesn't feel like moving. I mean like if she's set for one shooter she will literally barely move to make a save. If the next shooter comes from the other side she flies over to make a good save attempt. She's like a very poor man's Rick DiPietro; makes some very impressive athletic saves but just stands there like a shooter tutor when she's actually in position. I've almost got to figure out how to get her out of position on most shots. :lol: I think that's more a developmental-readiness thing. She's better and more competitive than I had originally thought. I'm realizing her parents are essentially convincing her that she's very good and doesn't need as much work. Thinking that's our biggest obstacle.